Contributed by The Ashby Inn and Restaurant
Note: Chef Tom Whitaker prefers to provide the ingredients in metric measurements; a converter to American measurements can be found here.
- 150 g yellow onion
- 1.6 kg ripe red tomatoes: beefsteak or roma
- 6 g garlic
- 800 g red peppers
- 400 g cucumber
- 12 g basil
- 50 ml white balsamic vinegar
- 30 g salt
- 7 g sugar
- 250 ml extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of cayenne
- Peel peppers and deseed
- Peel cucumbers, halve and deseed
- Rough chop all vegetables into a large container and marinate with the sugar, salt, basil, cayenne, and vinegar for 6 hours or overnight
- In batches, add the mix to a blender and emulsify with the olive oil till smooth and silky.
- Freeze bowls and serve super-chilled for a refreshing summer lunch
Note: Alternatively the ingredients and oil can be run through a food processor or even a meat grinder for a chunkier version. At the Ashby, we emulsify three-quarters and grind the remaining for a best-of-both-worlds gazpacho.
Did you see our profile of the Ashby Inn, and 3 other Piedmont restaurants, in our July/August issue? Read it here