via the Virginia Tourism Office
(Richmond, Va.) The Virginia Tourism Corporation is out to prove that love is at the heart of every Virginia
vacation. In July, the state unveiled oversized LOVE artwork at several Welcome Centers across the state. Now local tourism offices are getting into the fun with the Virginia Tourism “Bring LOVE to Your Town” event.
Starting August 17, 21 localities will vie for the chance to have LOVE on display in September. Each locality nominated a local park or destination to display the LOVE, in hopes of turning the area into a viral tourism sensation through social media. The winning location will be chosen by Facebook fans at www.Facebook.com/VirginiaisforLovers. The voting opens at 8:00 a.m. on August 17 and closes at 5 p.m. on August 18. The state tourism office will install the artwork at the winning destination on August 31 and it will be on display through September.
The LOVE artwork is approximately 16 feet wide and eight feet tall. The artwork is part of the Virginia is for Lovers brand and the state’s tourism marketing campaign which promotes Virginia as an ideal destination for families.
Visitors will be encouraged to take a family picture in front of the artwork and share it on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/VirginiaisforLovers or on Twitter, using the special hashtag #LOVEVA.
“Our iconic Virginia is for Lovers brand is about love – pure and simple, and has been for more than 40 years,” said Alisa Bailey, president and CEO of the Virginia Tourism Corporation. “The LOVE artwork has great social media buzz and will reach out to more travelers and promote the message that love is at the heart of every Virginia vacation.”
Localities across the state have nominated local sites for the Bring Love to Your Town event. The following sites will be posted on www.Facebook.com/VirginiaisforLovers on August 17 for voting:
- Abingdon – Barter Theatre Green
- Alleghany Highlands – Humpback Bridge
- Bedford – Bedford Area Welcome Center
- Chesapeake – Great Bridge Lock Park
- Fauquier County – Barrel Oak Winery
- Franklin – EVB Bank
- Fredericksburg – Riverfront Park
- Gloucester – Gloucester County Visitor Center
- Kilmarnock – Kilmarnock Town Centre
- Lexington – First Catch Market
- Lynchburg – Blackwater Creek Trail
- Mathews County – Mathews Court Green
- Newport News – Visitor Center
- Norfolk – Visitor Information Center
- Rappahannock County -Visitors Center
- Roanoke – Gateway to Downtown Roanoke
- Smithfield – Windsor Castle Park
- South Hill – in front of the train depot
- Virginia Beach – Visitor Information Center
- Warm Springs – in front of the Jefferson Pools and Visitor Gazebo
- Waynesboro – Constitution Park
Visit www.Facebook.com/VirginiaisforLovers on August 17-18 to vote for the Bring Love to Your Town nominees. Visit www.Virginia.org to start planning a vacation or call 1-800-VISITVA to request a free, Virginia is for Lovers travel guide. Love is at the heart of every Virginia vacation.